Illinois Fighting Illini v.s. #18 Michigan State Spartans
3:00 p.m. CST
- Michigan State leads 57-56
- Last Meeting: #4 Michigan State 78, Illinois 62 (Jan. 18, 2014 at Champaign)
- Streak: Michigan State W-2
- Record at East Lansing: Michigan State leads 36-18
- Streak at East Lansing: Michigan State W-6
- Groce v.s. MSU: 0-2
- llinois wraps up the regular season with three consecutive games against Top 20-ranked teams, starting with back-to-back match-ups against Big Ten leaders Michigan State (currently in second place) on Saturday and Michigan (currently in first) on Tuesday.
- The Illini have won consecutive Big Ten games for the first time since opening league play 2-0 with victories over Indiana and Penn State (Dec. 31-Jan. 4). Illinois is aiming for its first 3-game conference winning streak since claiming five in a row last season (Feb. 7-21, 2013).
- Illinois’ defense has held each of its last three opponents to less than 50 points. It is the first time since the 1947 Big Ten season that the Illini have held at least three straight league foes below 50 points (four in a row from Jan. 6-25, 1947).
- Following the 60-49 victory over Nebraska on Wednesday, Illinois has now limited the opponent to 65 points or less in 15 of its 16 wins this season, and 22 of its last 23 wins dating back to Feb. 10 of last year. Facing the Ranked
- No. 18 Michigan State marks the eighth ranked opponent (AP poll) on the Illini schedule. Illinois is 1-6 against ranked teams this season – defeating No. 22 Missouri on Dec. 21 – and 5-14 overall against ranked foes under Coach John Groce.
- Illinois plays a total of nine games against currently ranked Big Ten teams, tied with Minnesota for most in the conference.
- Illinois has dropped its last four road games against ranked teams, looking for its first road win over a ranked opponent since defeating No. 18 Minnesota last season (Feb. 10, 2013).
(Game Notes from Fightingillini.com)
- Points Per Game: 299th (65.5)
- Rebounds Per Game: 185th (34.7)
- Assists Per Game: 335th (10.1)
- Field Goal Pct: 329th (.405)
- Points Per Game: 42nd (77.3)
- Rebounds Per Game: 48th (37.8)
- Assists Per Game: 5th (17.3)
- Field Goal Pct: 41st (.472)
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.