The Illinois Fighting Illini are starting the 2013 campaign with D1-AA Southern Illinois Salukis. We will dive a little deeper into the numbers for the Salukis from last year.
We will also give you a little betting advice if you want to come out of this game with a couple extra bucks in your pocket. So let’s take a look at what the Salukis will be bringing to the table for Saturday’s game.
Southern Illinois Quick Notes:
- 0-3 all-time versus Illinois
- Finished 6-5 (3-5) in 2012
- Only game against a D1 opponent in 2012 was Miami (OH). The Salukis lost 30-14.
- Last win versus a D1 opponent came in 2007 against in-state rival Northern Illinois, 34-31.
Good News Salukis:
- Veteran quarterback Kory Faulkner returns. He attempted all but 11 passes for the team during the 2012 season. Faulkner accumulated 504 yards more through the air than Nathan Scheelhaase in 2012.
- 8 returning starters on offense. This includes All-American tight end MyCole Pruitt.
- 10 transfers from D1 football programs. Including what could be the best running back duo in D1-AA in Mika’il McCall and Ken Malcome.
Bad News Salukis:
- The Salukis have never beaten the Illini in football.
- The Salukis lost their leading rusher, Steve Strother, who accounted for 36% of their rushing offense.
- 15-30 (50%) for touchdowns in the red-zone in 2012
- 7-14 (50%) in field goal attempts in 2012
Key Stats For Illinois vs. Southern Illinois:
- Red-Zone Efficiency for 2012: Illinois 74% vs. Southern Illinois 73%
- 3rd Down Efficiency for 2012: Illinois 34% vs. Southern Illinois 30%
- Turnovers for 2012: Illinois 36 vs. Southern Illinois 30
This match-up seems like it will be a no brainer which is why it is not even on the board in most sportsbetting sites. The Salukis on August 25th were 24 point underdogs, but over the last three days that line has moved down to 17 point underdogs.
This would be a perfect time to jump on the Illini bandwagon. The line moving 7 total points is rare and this is a perfect time to put a few bucks in your pocket.
Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @ReesIsMe