On February 7th at Assembly Hall, Tyler Griffey hit a last-second game winning shot to upset the #1 Indiana Hoosiers. Today, Intersport announced on CBS Sports that Tyler Griffey’s last-second shot was the 2013 GEICO Play of the Year. During the entire season, fans voted voted on Facebook to choose which plays were the “best of the best” and, after eight nominee weeks, the weekly winners were voted on to determine the 2013 GEICO Play of the Year.
Illinois had to come back after trailing the Hoosiers at the half, but were able to tie the game at 72 with less than a second remaining on the clock. The Illini were inbounding the ball from under the Hoosiers’ basket and, as they scurried to get open, Tyler Griffey slipped past the Indiana defense for the easy lay-up as time expired.
This shot sparked Illinois as they went on a five game winning after beating the Hoosiers.
Additional 2013 GEICO Play of the Year Finalists:
• Alex Barlow (Butler) game-winner vs. Indiana
• Majok Majok (Ball State) last-second dunk vs. Norfolk St.
• Walt Lemon Jr. (Bradley) running 3-pointer vs. Missouri St.
• Nerlens Noel (Kentucky) monster slam vs. Auburn
• Roosevelt Jones (Butler) buzzer-beating floater vs. Gonzaga
• Nick Johnson (Arizona) game-saving block vs. SDSU
• Marcus Lewis (Eastern Kentucky) full-stretch alley-oop vs. SE Missouri St.
There will be multiple encore airings of GEICO Presents Best of College Basketball 2013 on CBS Sports Network. Check local listings for broadcast times in your area.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.