This weekend, the Big Ten has six conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this weekend in the Big Ten.
1) Five Big Ten teams are ranked coming into this week of play. These teams are the #2 Indiana Hoosiers the #7 Michigan Wolverines, the #10 Michigan State Spartans, the #14 Ohio State Buckeyes, and the #22 Wisconsin Badgers.
2) The Iowa Hawkeyes played themselves into the tournament discussion with their win over the Fighting Illini this past week. They will end their regular season against the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Saturday. Although they are a long shot to make the tournament, they could use this weekend to carry some momentum heading into the Big Ten conference tournament.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Weekend will be Sunday’s match-up between #2 Indiana and #7 Michigan.
This game could be seen as the game that will decide who will win the Big Ten regular season crown. The Hoosiers defeated the Wolverines in their last meeting. Indiana needs to win this game. They could have locked up the Big Ten in their last game, but lost to the Ohio State Buckeyes on their home floor.
4) Coming into this weekend, Indiana is #1 in the conference standings. They fell to 13-4 in the Big Ten after losing to Ohio State on Tuesday. However, Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State is still only a game behind them. Sunday will be a crazy day for the Big Ten Conference.
5) The Illinois Fighting Illini really shot themselves in the foot coming into this weekend. In their last game, they lost to an Iowa team that should have beaten without a problem. The Illini are currently projected as a 9th-seed in the East Region and seem to be falling quickly. They will travel to Ohio State on Sunday to end the season.
6) ESPN’s Bracketologist Joe Lunardi has seven Big Ten teams as locks for the NCAA Tournament. The teams that he has as locks are Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.