This week, the Big Ten has six conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this week in the Big Ten.
1) Five Big Ten teams are ranked coming into this week of play. These teams are the #2 Indiana Hoosiers the #7 Michigan Wolverines, the #10 Michigan State Spartans, the #14 Ohio State Buckeyes, and the #22 Wisconsin Badgers.
2) Indiana was dethroned from their #1 ranking after losing to the Minnesota Golden Gophers last week. The Gonzaga Bulldogs are the new #1 team in the rankings for the first time in their school’s history.
Indiana will play the Ohio State Buckeyes on Tuesday night.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Week will be Tuesday’s match-up between the #14 Ohio State Buckeyes and the #2 Indiana Hoosiers. This will be the second meeting of the season between the Buckeyes and the Hoosiers.
In their first meeting, Indiana went into Columbus and beat OSU, 81-68. Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, and Christian Watford all scored over 20 points for Indiana.
4) Illinois can lock up the the 6th and 7th seed in the Big Ten conference tournament with a win over Iowa on Tuesday night. They are currently sitting at the six spot. They can lock up those two seeds, but will need a second win against OSU or one Minnesota loss to lock up the 6th seed for sure.
5) Another big conference game this week will be the one between #22 Wisconsin and #10 Michigan State. MSU is coming off a very tough loss to the Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor on Sunday. This game will also affect how the top 5 teams in the Big Ten conference tournament are seeded. The Spartans are currently 3rd and the Badgers are currently 5th. If MSU loses this week, they could find themselves at either 4th or 5th in the conference going into their last game of the year.
6) ESPN’s Bracketologist Joe Lunardi has five Big Ten teams as locks for the NCAA Tournament and two more that “should” be in. The teams that he has as locks are Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. The teams that “should” be in are Illinois and Minnesota.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.