This weekend, the Big Ten has five conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this weekend in the Big Ten.
1) Only four of the Big Ten teams in play this weekend are ranked. These teams are the #1 Indiana Hoosiers, the #4 Michigan Wolverines, the #9 Michigan State Spartans, and the #17 Wisconsin Badgers.
2) There are two teams that “should” be in the NCAA Tournament, but could need some help coming into this weekend. These teams are the Minnesota Golden Gophers and the Illinois Fighting Illini. Both teams will play on Saturday. Illinois will host the Nebraska Cornhuskers while Minnesota will host a Penn State team coming off an upset win against #4 Michigan.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Weekend will be Sunday’s match-up between #9 Michigan State and #4 Michigan.
This will be the second time these two interstate rivals will meet this season. The Spartans dominated the first meeting in East Lansing, 75-52. MSU had four players score double-figure points and made 30 total field goals.
4) Coming into this weekend, Indiana is #1 in the conference standings. They fell to 12-3 in the Big Ten after losing to Minnesota on Tuesday. However, Michigan State is still only a game behind them after losing to Ohio State and Indiana in their last two games.
5) For the first time all season, the Penn State Nittany Lions come into a weekend with a conference victory. They defeated Michigan, 84-78, on Wednesday night. They will try to make it two wins in a row against Minnesota on Saturday.
6) #16 Ohio State and Northwestern will be the Big Ten teams not in play this weekend.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.