This week, the Big Ten has five conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this week in the Big Ten.
1) Five Big Ten teams are ranked coming into this week of play. These teams are the #1 Indiana Hoosiers, the #4 Michigan Wolverines, the #9 Michigan State Spartans, the #16 Ohio State Buckeyes, and the #17 Wisconsin Badgers.
2) Indiana has now stayed at the #1 spot in the rankings for four straight weeks. They have a good chance of staying at #1 after this week, but next week will be a challenge. They will play against Michigan and Ohio State in the final week of the regular season.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Week will be Tuesday’s match-up between #1 Indiana and Minnesota. The Golden Gophers were once a ranked team, but has struggled since.
Before the first meeting with the Hoosiers, they were 15-1. Minnesota is now 3-8 coming into their second meeting with #1 Indiana.
4) For the second week in a row, the Wisconsin Badgers could not pass Ohio State in the Top 25 rankings. The Badgers defeated Northwestern last week, but the Buckeyes were able to beat #4 Michigan State to stay ahead of Wisconsin in the rankings.
5) The Penn State Nittany Lions come into this week at 0-14 in Big Ten conference play. They lost to the Illinois Fighting Illini, 59-64, in their last game. They will play #4 Michigan on Wednesday. Michigan beat Penn State, 79-71, in the first meeting.
6) The Michigan State Spartans and the Illinois Fighting Illini will be the only Big Ten teams not playing this week.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.