This weekend, the Big Ten has four conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this weekend in the Big Ten.
1) Only three of the Big Ten teams in play this weekend are ranked. These teams are #4 Michigan State Spartans, the #7 Michigan Wolverines, and the #18 Ohio State Buckeyes.
2) Joe Lunardi of ESPN has seven Big Ten teams in the NCAA Tournament coming into this weekend. The Big Ten teams that Lunardi has in the tournament are Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan State, Ohio State, Illinois,Wisconsin, and Michigan.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Weekend will be Sunday’s match-up between #4 Michigan State and #18 Ohio State. The Buckeyes might have picked up a nice win over Minnesota in their last game, but Sunday’s game against the Spartans will be no cake walk. This season, OSU is 1-7 against ranked opponents. The last ranked opponent they played was #20 Wisconsin were OSU shot the ball terribly in that game.
4) For the first time in weeks, there is only one team at the top of the Big Ten standings. The #1 Indiana Hoosiers control the Big Ten after their win over Michigan State on Tuesday. Indiana is 12-2 in the Big Ten, but does not play this weekend.
5) Another key match-up to watch in the Big Ten this weekend will be Illinois v.s. #7 Michigan in Ann Arbor. The Fighting Illini are playing well as of late and have won their last five games. However, the Wolverines manhandled Illinois in their first game this season at Assembly Hall. Right now, Illinois is a projected 10-seed in this year’s tournament. A win here would only boost their projected seeding.
6) #1 Indiana, #17 Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Penn State will be the Big Ten teams not in play this weekend.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.