This weekend, the Big Ten has six conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this week in the Big Ten.
1) Five of the Big Ten teams in play this weekend are ranked. These teams are the #1 Indiana Hoosiers, the #4 Michigan Wolverines, the #8 Michigan State Spartans, the #13 Ohio State Buckeyes, and the #20 Wisconsin Badgers.
2) Joe Lunardi of ESPN has seven Big Ten teams in the NCAA Tournament coming into this weekend. The Big Ten teams that Lunardi has in the tournament are Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan State, Ohio State, Illinois,Wisconsin, and Michigan.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Weekend will be Sunday’s match-up between #13 Ohio State and #20 Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see how much energy the Badgers come out with in this game. This is because their last three games against Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota all have gone into overtime.
4) There are two teams tied for first place in the Big Ten at 10-2 into this weekend. These teams are #1 Indiana and #8 Michigan State. Both will be in action on Saturday. Indiana will play Purdue while Michigan State will play Nebraska.
5) After starting the season at 15-1, the Minnesota Golden Gophers have been struggling. They fell out of the rankings this week after their loss to the Illinois Fighting Illini. The Golden Gophers have won three out of their last nine games. They will play the Iowa Hawkeyes on Sunday.
6) The Illinois Fighting Illini continue to roll coming into this weekend. In their last game, they completely ran the Purdue Boilermakers out of Assembly Hall, 79-59. This weekend, they will play another conference team that beat them early this season. The Fighting Illini will play the Northwestern Wildcats on Sunday.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.