This week, the Big Ten has six conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this week in the Big Ten.
1) Five Big Ten teams are ranked coming into this week of play. These teams are the #1 Indiana Hoosiers, the #4 Michigan Wolverines, the #8 Michigan State Spartans, the #13 Ohio State Buckeyes, and the #20 Wisconsin Badgers.
2) Indiana caught a big break this week in the rankings. They remain at the #1 spot in the nation even though they lost to Illinois last week. This is the first time a #1 team has lost and stayed at #1 this season.
3) The Minnesota Golden Gophers fell out of the rankings this week after losing to Illinois on Sunday. They were ranked 18th in the nation, but now are the top unranked team receiving votes with 80.
4) The Big Ten Game of the Week will be Tuesday’s match-up between #4 Michigan and #8 Michigan State. This is the first meeting between these interstate rivals this season. Michigan State is 3-0 in their last three games while Michigan is 1-2 in their last three.
5) Coming into this week, there are two teams tied for first place in the Big Ten at 9-2. These teams are #1 Indiana and #8 Michigan State. Indiana will play Nebraska on Wednesday and Michigan State will play Michigan on Tuesday.
6) The Illinois Fighting Illini are coming into this week after beating #1 Indiana and #18 Minnesota in their last two games. However, they will play a Purdue team that beat them earlier this season. The Fighting Illini received 26 votes in this week’s polls.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.