This weekend, the Big Ten has six conference games scheduled. Here are my six things to look at over this week in the Big Ten.
1) Five of the Big Ten teams in play this weekend are ranked. These teams are #1 Indiana, #3 Michigan, #10 Ohio State, #12 Michigan State, and #18 Minnesota.
2) The #1 Indiana Hoosiers will be looking to bounce back in a big way from their road loss against Illinois. The Hoosiers will be playing #10 Ohio State in Columbus. A loss here could mean that the Hoosiers fall out of the Top 5.
3) The Big Ten Game of the Weekend will be Sunday’s match-up between #1 Indiana and #10 Ohio State. Both teams are coming off of losses in their last game.
The Buckeyes lost to #3 Michigan on Tuesday night. It will be interesting to see if the #1 team will lose twice in one week for the first time this season.
4) There are three teams tied for first place in the Big Ten at 8-2 into this weekend. These teams are #1 Indiana, #3 Michigan, and #12 Michigan State. Indiana will play #10 Ohio State on Sunday, Michigan will play Wisconsin Saturday, and Michigan State will play Purdue on Saturday.
5) Despite losing to Illinois, the best scoring offense in the Big Ten is still Indiana. They are averaging 83.3 points per game this season and Victor Oladipo could be seen as a big reason why. He currently has the highest field goal percentage in the conference (.636).
6) The top two scoring threats in the Big Ten are currently Deshaun Thomas (Ohio State) and Trey Burke (Michigan). Thomas leads the conference with 19.9 points per game while Burke is second with 18.1 points per game. Burke is also a “dish machine.” On top of his 18.1 PPG, he is averaging 7.2 assists per game.
Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.
Like the us on Facebook at Writing_Illini.